Welcome to my official Blog

Welcome to my official Blog
Mayor of Halifax - Mike Savage

Friday 10 May 2013

From United Air, Flight 5190


I don't think one has to be a particularly good Mayor to be a busy one.

The schedule is always full, and one of the constant challenges, as I learn the job, is to make sure I am focusing on big issues as much as possible.
For me, economic development is the pathway to the kind of community we aspire to be. It will allow us to be healthy, sustainable and truly more liveable.
I see an active role for the Mayor in economic development, and in discussions with business and other stakeholders it is clear that they see a role for the Mayor as well.
This means that I will be on the road on occasion. Unfortunately, it also means I will miss a number of events at home. This week there have been a number of key initiatives that our HRM team, and my office, have been working on in my absence.
The legislative amendments that we require to allow for development in the Regional Center have been ongoing for some time and culminated with their passing in the Legislature today (Thursday, May 9).  A lot of work has gone into these, and I am so impressed with the folks on my own team in the Mayor's office and HRM staff who worked night and day to ensure the success of the process.
From Houston I spoke to MLAs, to the Premier and members of both opposition parties as we came down to the crunch. Councillor Waye Mason, who has been intimately involved in the process with Jennifer Watts and other councillors, represented me at Legislature’s Law Amendments Committee and did a great job.
Another occasion that I was sorry to miss was the screening of Mooseheads games in Grand Parade. This all started with a casual conversation with Josh Bragg, of my staff, when he said "What do think of seeing if we can show some Moose games in public?"
With the help of corporate supporters and our great Events staff at HRM it happened. I would have loved to be there. It’s hard to find Moose broadcasts in Houston!
We all are so excited about the Mooseheads this year. I want you to know that the week I was sworn in as Mayor, the Moose were selected as the best junior team in Canada for the first time. Immediate success for a new council!!
I saw Mooseheads owner Bobby Smith last Saturday. We chatted about the mood in Halifax and how the enthusiasm of the city fuels the team. It certainly works in reverse, and Moose mania is rampant.
I don't want to be overly dramatic but I believe, and have for some time, that the optimism and pride we feel in the Mooseheads, can exist for all of Halifax. The opportunities are significant and within our reach. Working well as a Council, with our Provincial and Federal colleagues, and all of our partners we will see economic development flourish....and we will be the city we know we can be.

 
From United Air, flight 5190.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment